WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Working with David Benoit

I first met David Benoit when David Pack from Ambrosia called me to sing background on a gorgeous song that both David Pack and David Benoit wrote together. The song was called "Key To You" and it's become one of David Benoit's classics.

This introduction led to me working on various projects with David Benoit. After singing background on this project, I was also called in to sing background on a few more of David's albums. One of the albums that I sang on was "Inner Motion". The song "Every Corner Of The World" was another song that was written by David Benoit and David Pack.

What was nice about this project is when David Benoit was promoting this album he did a performance out here in Los Angeles at the Greek Theater. It was a great concert.

The way they did the concert was very cool it was done in 3-stages. First they started with David playing the piano by himself on stage, with a curtain behind him. Then the 2nd phase they opened the curtain and there was a rhythm section with us singing the backgrounds on "Key To You" and other songs. The third phase they opened another curtain and behind us was an orchestra, which surprised the audience. It was a fantastic evening, the weather was beautiful. We closed the show with "Every Corner Of the World".

David Benoit at the piano
I ended up singing background on 3 of David's projects. There was another project that David Benoit called me for. The Film Actor George Hamilton, who was always known for his tans, was doing a new talk show with his ex-wife. I guess the network thought this was a great idea! David Benoit had been called in to arrange the theme song which was "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off".

I sang this song with Eyvonne Williams as a duet. The show didn't really last long, but we appreciated David calling us to sing the theme song of this new TV show. The idea of doing a show though with your ex-wife doesn't really sound appealing. 

David Benoit called me for a live project that he was doing a few years later and unfortunately I wasn't able to work that project out. Davd was always very nice very unassuming and NO MESS - YEAH!

The last time I saw David was at the LAX Airport. I was leaving to go do a show with Sheena Easton and David was just coming in from a concert from somewhere in the U.S.

I haven't worked with David since the TV Show theme and since I wasn't able to work out the live project with him it's been a while. When I ran into him at LAX we did exchange numbers again and got caught up, so we'll see what happens in the future.

If you've never heard "Key To You", which was my introduction to David Benoit, you should check the song out. I've included the YouTube link above.

Again, another facet of my musical career over the years. It was great Working With David Benoit. 

Until Next Time - Phillip 

No comments:

Post a Comment