WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Remembering Edwin Starr

Edwin Starr was a soul singer who had a string of hits back in the 60s, and 70s and a few more into the 80s.

I remember back in 1969, I was 11 and hearing the song "25 Miles". I used to sing that song with a pencil in my hand using it as a microphone. The biggest hit of Edwin's career which cemented his reputation was the Vietnam War protest song "War" which was released in 1970. This song spent three weeks in the top position on the US Billboard charts, it was an anthem for the antiwar movement and a cultural milestone that continues to resound in movie soundtracks and hip hop music samples. This song alone sold over 3 million copies.

Back in 1977 SWITCH had been signed to Motown records which was the same label that Edwin Starr was on previously. As I was leaving a meeting, for some reason, which I can't remember at this time, but I had my congas with me. Even though I'm known for my singing I started out in my local bands being a percussionist and singing. Kevin Dorsey was with me and while we were in the lobby of the Motown building we ran into Edwin Starr. Edwin asked if I played the congas and I said yes. He asked if I would be interested in playing on a 'demo' that he was doing. I told him that I would and then he found out that both Kevin and I sing so we were asked to sing backgrounds on this 'demo' of his for 2 songs. Of course we were getting paid.

The 'demo' we recorded was called "Contact". I'm playing the congas on that song and I'm singing backgrounds with Kevin Dorsey. What we thought was going to be a 'demo' only, turned out to be one of Edwin Starr's biggest hits. This song was released in 1979, hit #65 in the US pop charts, #13 on the R&B charts, #6 in the UK and #1 on the dance charts. This song along with "I'm So Into You" were the 2 songs that I sang backgrounds on. At this point Edwin was no longer with Motown records, these songs were released on 20th Century Records.

We recorded these 2 songs at a small studio here in LA. At the time Edwin Starr's fame had dwindled but this song was somewhat of a resurgence of Edwin's career.

This was the only time I met and worked with Edwin Starr. We happen to be at the Motown building at the same time, he asked if I played and I told him yes. We recorded 2 songs that evening, got paid and that was it. So my time with Edwin Starr was literally a "Brief Encounter"all in ONE DAY. We basically spent a few hours together. But the song "Contact" of course lives on.

You can listen to the song here on this YouTube upload. When you hear the congas, yeah that's me.

On April 2, 2003, at the age of 61, Edwin Starr suffered a heart attack and died while taking a bath at this home.


Here again, even though it was a brief encounter, I was able to contribute my talent, in some small degree, to Edwin's career.

Until next time - Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment