WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, July 10, 2011

CHRONICLES OF THE PAST - "Quantum Leap"

Back in 1992 I got a call from Rose Stone. Rose is the sister of Sly Stone and was part of the Sly & The Family Stone Fame. Rose & I had started singing on recording sessions together and she was contracting this session for the TV Show Quantum Leap. This show had seen some major success and it was already in it's 4th season.

I was called by Rose to sing a song for an upcoming episode called - "A Song For the Soul". This episode was to take place back in the 1960s and Scott Bakula, who played the character Dr. Samuel Beckett, was portraying a black female backup singer in an amateur girl group. Sam would attempt to rescue one of the girls from a sleazy night club owner's clutches.

Well the song I sang was "Stay....just a little bit longer..." When I sang the song I was asked to be in the episode. So I portrayed a singer at this night club, basically playing myself. It was great, it ended up being a 2-day shoot over at Universal Studios and I got to meet the cast of Quantum Leap. The guest star on this particular episode was Tammy Townsend. I had met Tammy in my earlier SWITCH days so it was nice to see her again.

This particular episode aired on February 26, 1992. I had been on Soul Train and other late night shows with SWITCH and other various artists but I had never been on a TV show like this, so it was pretty exciting. The two times that I got to do something like this was this episode of Quantum Leap and My Best Friends Wedding, where I played the wedding singer at the end of the film. (The information about 'My Best Friend's Wedding' was posted on this BLOG on 11/21/10)


Quantum Leap lasted for 5 seasons, and then Scott Bakula went on to become the captain of the Starship Enterprise in the TV show Star Trek: Enterprise. Even though Scott went on to various TV shows, he's best known for his role in Quantum Leap which he won a Golden Globe award for Best Actor.

I've definitely worked on a variety of projects over the years and I'm still looking forward to working on many more. For this project it was definitely a Quantum Leap that I was happy to be a part of.

Until next time - Phillip





No comments:

Post a Comment