WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chronicles of the Past - "The Little Mermaid"

Back in 1984 I got a call to work on a new Disney Film called "The Little Mermaid". I got to work with different Los Angeles Session Singers. I remember at the time thinking how fun it was to be able to work on an animated film, and especially with Disney. At the time I was no longer with SWITCH, I had originally left the band in 1982 and was doing quite a few sessions out here in Los Angeles.

I actually was able to do a couple of recording sessions for this film on 3 different songs. The main 2 songs have become Disney classics, 'Under The Sea' and 'Kiss The Girl'. These 2 songs are now classics in the Disney Chronicles.

There's a child in all of us because every time I tell people that I worked on "The Little Mermaid" you hear their voice go up a few octaves 'YOU DID!', Oh I love that movie, etc." I was doing a radio interview last week with Greg Williams about SWITCH for a North Carolina Radio Station and was asked the question about some of the things I had worked on when I mentioned "The Little Mermaid", you should have heard the DJ's that were interviewing us, they became children, or at least this took them back to their past in a quick minute.

The cool thing about Disney's marketing is they'll put their films in the vault and re-release them to a new generation about a decade later. This way literally millions of children will get the benefit of seeing the famous Disney Classics. 

When we originally sang on this film VHS was the way to watch movies at home, of course we're in a different world with the media today, DVD, Blue Ray and online streaming even to our smart phones.

In addition to singing background on these songs I was asked to sing some soulful ad-libs on "Kiss The Girl". I was like, 'are you sure?' and the answer was yes. You can hear the ad-libs especially at the end of 'Kiss The Girl. 'Kiss The Girl' Video (CLICK HERE)

So the next time you're feeling like you need that 'inner child' inside of you to come out, or you're sitting with your children or even grand children, check out "The Little Mermaid" and know that I'm proud to say that I was able to be, even in a small way, a piece of Disney's classic history.

Until next time - Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment