WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, March 18, 2012

COMMERCIAL BREAK - "Coast Soap"

In the mid 80s I started singing on TV commercials. I've talked about a few of them on my BLOG, like the Peter Pan Peanut Butter commercial, the California Raisin's Commercial and others.

My first National Commercial was actually for Coast Soap. A lot of you might remember that soap. Edie Leighman, who I had toured with for Quincy Jones in 1982 and had worked together on a lot of projects called me for this session. I was singing background with a group of others.

It was a 30 second spot and it was about soap. But what I had come to realize was that the commercials were paying the biggest residuals and to sing on a commercial that was nationwide was a big deal. So I was happy to be a part.

 It was great, you go down to the studio to sing for about an hour for a  30-second commercial and the commercial runs for about a 1/2 year or so and you continue to get paid. We all enjoyed the commercials back in the 80s and 90s before the SCREEN ACTORS GUILD STRIKE of 2000 also known as S.A.G. That strike changed the industry and commercials were never the same.

Even still it was great to be part of one of the major brands back in the day. I'm not sure if anyone even uses this soap anymore. It used to be my favorite, but we've  since SWITCHED - No pun intended!

The campaign was "Feel Alive with Coast"

Take a peak, you just might remember this one:

Until next time - Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment