WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, December 12, 2010

CHRONICLES OF THE PAST - "The Wedding Singer"

About 2 months after the release of "My Best Friends Wedding" I got a call from Jolie Levine, a project coordinator, to sing on a film called "The Wedding Singer". When she called me I thought she was teasing me because I played 'the Wedding Singer' in the film "My Best Friends Wedding". So I was waiting for the punch line. She laughed and told me that no this is a new Adam Sandler film called "The Wedding Singer". Another words it was a real session.

I thought that was pretty amazing. About a year before I had worked on "My Best Friends Wedding" I worked on "Father Of The Bride II", which I'll talk about in a later BLOG. So here was my third wedding film in a relatively short period of time.

I was asked to be the vocal contractor for this film, and what that means is the vocal contractor is responsible for getting the singers together as well as turning in the contracts for the Screen Actors Guild.

So when I got to the studio Brookes Arthur was producing the music along with Adam Sandler. Brookes and I had worked together on previous projects, but it was my 1st time meeting and working with Adam. I got to sing on two songs in the film "You Spin Me Right Round Baby" and "True". We sang background on those 80 re-makes with Adam singing the lead.

We had a lot of fun working on this film and as you know this film has become one of the classic Adam Sandler / Drew Barrymore films of all time. Adam & Drew went on later to work together in the film "50 First Dates", which was also a good film.

I still enjoy watching that film even today. Talking about taking you back, this film definitely does that. It takes you back to the 80s.

Most people when they watch a film get up and leave when the credits come on, or with today's technology, if there watching the film at home they will just scroll through the credits quickly. But there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and you'll be surprised some of the different singers, songwriters, etc that you find when you read the credits. You'll learn about more films that I've worked in the future, but in the meantime, check out some credits. You might be surprised.

Until Next Time - Phillip

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of my favorite movies! I never get sick of watching it. And of course, knowing that one of my good friends sings in the movie doesn't hurt either...:)
    But seriously, I'm really enjoying your blog, Phill! I look forward to your post on "Father of the Bride II."

    ReplyDelete
  2. A timeless movie and a timeless scene you were in. Always an enjoyable tune! Glad I found my way to your blog, Phillip. I'll always remember all your little performing tips. See you around! x ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jules, nice to hear from you. I still talk about how well you learned to others. I hope that you're doing well :-) Miss you...

    ReplyDelete