WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Friday, September 16, 2011

'Fine Fine Fella' (Patti Austin)


Patti Austin
Patti Austin's career in the music industry has crossed decades. Patti charted twenty R&B songs between 1969 and 1991.

Patti's biggest mainstream hit was "Baby, Come To Me" which was a duet with my brother James Ingram. This song initially peaked at #73 on the Hot 100 in early 1982 and then fell off the charts. After this song was featured as the love theme in a prominent story line on the soap opera General Hospital, this song re-entered the pop charts in October and went to number one in Feburary 1983. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA. She later teamed up with Jams for the duet "How Do You Keep The Music Playing"


Patti singing
In 1984 Patti recorded an album that had the hit single "It's Gonna Be Special". As part of my songwriting career I co-wrote a song on that album called "Fine Fine Fella".  I shared the co-writing with Attala Zane Giles and Ollie E. Brown. Ollie produced this particular song and Attala and I did the background arrangements and also sang on the record as well.

The single "It's Gonna Be Special"  from this album, peaked at #5 on the Dance charts, #15 on the R&B charts, and charted on the Hot 100 in 1984.  Patti continues to perform all around the world with her amazing voice and she still amazes audiences.

Patti & Phillip 
Patti and I got to re-connect when I sang backgrounds on the 60 Years of Quincy Jones at the Hollywood Bowl. She's just as silly as ever and as always, we had a great time at rehearsal and performing on the show.

Being a co-writer on "Fine Fine Fella" is yet another aspect of the  career that I've enjoyed over the years.

Until next time - Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment