WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Remembering Miss "Lady Tee" - Teena Marie

Miss "Lady Tee"
Teena and I first met back in 1977. SWITCH had just got signed to the Motown label and we were in a meeting with a guy by the name of Tom Difiero. As the meeting was going on, there was a knock at the door and it was Teena Marie. Of course being at Motown I thought she worked there because Motown had mainly put out black artists.

Tom introduced Teena to the band as one of Motown's newest artist. I have to admit we were a little 'shocked' but then we thought this girl must be soulful for Motwn to pick her up. Well that was the understatement of the century. Teena Marie was one of the most soulful singers around and I loved her. Teena and I became friends, we were about the same age and we hang out and play songs that we were working on for our projects.

Phillip & Teena at the piano
When Teena was working on her "Irons In The Fire" album,  Teena and SWITCH were recording at the Motown Hitsville studio at the same time. On one of the breaks Teena invited me out to the car, back when they used to have cassette tapes in them, and she played me pretty much the whole album. I knew the girl was bad, but I was blown away. I believe we were working on our 2nd album at the time.

Our careers with Motown ran pretty much the same years. During the time we were signed, Teena had been signed a little before us, Rick James and the female group High Inergy were all signed around that time. Since we were Motown's newest artists we all got to know each other pretty well.

As you can see from these pictures, Teena and I were at a Motown function and after it was over I got on the piano and her and I just started sanging, I don't even know what it was because we made it up on the spot. Motown was thinking maybe a duet????, but it never happened.

Teena & Phillip

Teena called me to do some backgrounds with her when she was working on the "It Must Be Magic" album. I sang on a ballad with her, but also sang on "Square Biz", which I knew was going to be a hit when she played it for me. After SWITCH was dropped from Motown in 1982 Teena and I still stayed in touch.

When she was working on her "Sapphire" album in 2006 she called me to do some backgrounds as well. It was Val Young, Teena and myself, and it was just like old times singing and having fun. Teena's favorite SWITCH song was "I Wanna Be Closer", she always loved those harmonies. One of the songs we were working on had a similar vibe as "I Wanna Be Closer" and I teased her about ripping SWITCH off.

That was the last time I spoke with or worked with Teena. I knew that she had been touring and I heard that  her shows were well received. I remember coming home one Sunday and checking my Facebook and I had a message from someone telling me how sorry they were to hear about Teena's death. At the time I hadn't heard. I called Greg Williams, from SWITCH, and he confirmed that Teena had died in her sleep in her home in Pasadena. It was a shock because I didn't know that she was having any problems and the last I heard she was touring.

Teena died on December 26, 2010 at the age of 54 years old. One of the best soulful talents the world has come to know. She was a good friend and definitely Miss 'Lady Tee'. I enjoyed our times together and I will miss her dearly.
Teena Marie


Until Next Time - Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment