WELCOME

Being in the entertainment industry I'm constantly asked, "Who are you working with?", OR "What is your current project?"
So I decided to start a simple BLOG that answer those questions.

Phillip

Sunday, April 10, 2011

CHRONICLES OF THE PAST - "Honey I Shrunk The Audience"

In the BLOG post from April 3, 2011 I spoke about "Captain EO" being replaced at the Magic Eye Theatre after lasting for over a decade. The attraction that replaced Captain EO,  was "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" based on the film, 'Honey, I Shrunk The Kids". 


I mentioned that I had the privilege of being a part of the Magic Eye Theatre for over 20 years. That brings me to this story. 'Honey I Shrunk The Audience." This attraction opened up in 1998 and even though I didn't sing directly on this project, this attraction was presented by KODAK. When you went into the theatre and before you went in the auditorium KODAK did a pre-show with vivid colors, flowers,pictures etc, and it was very inspiring. The song they used for this presentation was 'True Colors', the Cindy Lauper song, but drum roll... I had the privilege of singing on this with a few other Los Angeles singers.

This song was lengthened for the presentation making the song, about 7:00 minutes long. So there were some group sections, lead vocal sections. I sang a verse by myself, and a verse with Susie Stevens as a duet. This was arranged and produced by Eddie Arkin. We recorded the vocals at Capitol Records, and the orchestration on this arrangement is beautiful.
I was actually able to find the Pre-Show on YouTube. You can tell that someone shot this video because of the movement but you'll still get to hear the great arrangement that Eddie put together for this project.

This attraction of 'Honey I Shrunk The Audience' with the pre-show of 'True Colors' lasted from 1998 until January 2010. When you think of Captain EO opening up in 1985, and then Honey I Shrunk The Audience opening up and lasting until 2010 at Disneyland, in a small way I was a part of the Magic Eye Theatre for over 25 years. This project like other projects was quite enjoyable, able to sing with your colleagues and enjoy some great music.

As we know 3-D technology has definitely changed in 25 years and today 3-D is in people's homes. Still when this technology was brand new, it was nice to be a small part of history. Enjoy the video....
Until Next Time - Phillip

1 comment:

  1. It's funny...I know I've seen "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" a few times, but I don't remember this video and song. It's beautiful! Of course, my favorite part is the end, where you sing. :)

    ReplyDelete